Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Re: Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am

2 weeks at college and daughter has been pinged twice

ridiculous, neither of us has been pinged in all the time before

she's tested negative though, but it shows how rife it is in education settings (her class only has 15 in it so she isn't even mixing that much), hers was down to the college bus, apparently every seat is full every day
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:07 am

With testing way, way down positive tests are up from around 32,000 a day to over 40,000 a day, and we're still in relatively mild weather.

Will we have to content with just disease and hunger during the winter or will Boris be adding pestilence and war into the mix for a full house.
Cactus Jack

Postby ArchieG » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:13 am

Way down? 14% down on last week, sure. It does fluctuate, no idea why. That is still 4 times the testing rate of say, Spain, and not far off that ratio with Germany and France, according to the BBC, though I have not checked that. And the 7 day average is about 35000, yesterday it was 36000. Not over 40000. Those figures are easily available on the government coronavirus dashboard. We can comfortably agree Boris is the wrong leader for any civilised country, but don’t spread misinformation, it proves nothing that you want it to, and something that you wouldn’t.
ArchieG

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:57 am

ArchieG wrote:Way down? 14% down on last week, sure. It does fluctuate, no idea why. That is still 4 times the testing rate of say, Spain, and not far off that ratio with Germany and France, according to the BBC, though I have not checked that. And the 7 day average is about 35000, yesterday it was 36000. Not over 40000. Those figures are easily available on the government coronavirus dashboard. We can comfortably agree Boris is the wrong leader for any civilised country, but don’t spread misinformation, it proves nothing that you want it to, and something that you wouldn’t.

Archie we still have among the highest covid transmission rates in Europe and it's not just about Boris Johnson.

Last week because of bad weather I tried getting the bus into work instead of riding a bike as I have for a full year before anyone else was coming back into the office. It's extraordinary how time sensitive mask wearing is and for an understandable reason. If I caught a bus at 6:50 basically everyone was wearing masks, a day later when that bus didn't come - or maybe was late I don't know - and I caught the bus at 7:10/15 people who had worn a mask the previous day weren't bothering and I found out why when a large number of school children came onto the bus - all too young to be vaccinated, all travelling at exactly the same time because the bus got them in at the one time school starts and none of them wearing a face covering.

That's just one example of a tranmission risk that could be managed that isn't being. Boris is feeding a relentless diet of blind optimism into every press briefing and has started to scapegoat everyone but himself for his failings - I grant that 100%. What is needed is for the other side to be put out there too.

They're talking about up to 60,000 flu deaths this year - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 34218.html

That's a huge increase - flu deaths usually run at about 8,000 a year.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:21 pm

I don't see why there should be more deaths from flu this year. Having flu in previous years doesn't cause immunity to future variations of the flu virus, and the lack of flu infections last year shouldn't make a difference. Those who are more likely to die from flu complications should get the vaccine anyway. I do appreciate that it's difficult for them to predict the variation this year but I don't think it will make a big difference.
Raggamuffin

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't see why there should be more deaths from flu this year. Having flu in previous years doesn't cause immunity to future variations of the flu virus, and the lack of flu infections last year shouldn't make a difference. Those who are more likely to die from flu complications should get the vaccine anyway. I do appreciate that it's difficult for them to predict the variation this year but I don't think it will make a big difference.

I read or heard somewhere that it is more likely to be fatal if you have it in conjunction with coronavirus, and as being vaccinated against both will reduce the risk of developing the full on illness of one or both of them, you are therefore less likely to become ill enough for it to become fatal or need intensive treatment

dunno if i've explained that well, sorry
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't see why there should be more deaths from flu this year. Having flu in previous years doesn't cause immunity to future variations of the flu virus, and the lack of flu infections last year shouldn't make a difference. Those who are more likely to die from flu complications should get the vaccine anyway. I do appreciate that it's difficult for them to predict the variation this year but I don't think it will make a big difference.

I read or heard somewhere that it is more likely to be fatal if you have it in conjunction with coronavirus, and as being vaccinated against both will reduce the risk of developing the full on illness of one or both of them, you are therefore less likely to become ill enough for it to become fatal or need intensive treatment

You read right - even people of any age who are completely asymptomatic with covid can get massive complications when they have any other disease affecting their respiritory system. That's why the guidance is not to attend school or the workplace with any illness whatsoever, unfortunately that advice is not getting the level of attention it deserves.

Why will those deaths be recorded that way? We can only speculate but whereas I would hope any deaths as a result of both Covid and flu would be recorded against covid I'm aware the numbers will look better if covid deaths are minimised when other causes are in play.
Cactus Jack

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:26 pm

yes i know i read/hard right

but errrrrr thanks
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:43 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:

Yes, I can see that - a dose of Covid and flu at the same time could very well finish some people off. I don't think they're talking about that though. They're talking about a "lack of immunity" to flu because not many people had it last year. We don't have acquired immunity to new strains anyway though - that's why we have a jab every year.
Raggamuffin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:27 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:yes i know i read/hard right

but errrrrr thanks

I was clarifying one aspect - there are two.

The other is that because there was relatively little transmission of last year's flu strain, and therefore very little by the way or herd immunity built up, we face a year where more than one strain of flu can be circulating at the same time. Which is never a good thing

I have made the assumption you're aware of that and were less clear on getting flu and covid at the same time

Technically that also means it's possible to get two strains of flu and covid at the same time, which is a triple whammy I wouldn't wish on anyone. Even if they're lucky enough to survive it.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:13 pm

The youngest has covid, symptoms since last Wednesday and several positive LFT tests. His blood sugars are well controlled but he had a hypo on our vid call, he seems ok and just a bit pissed off with it.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Stooo wrote:The youngest has covid, symptoms since last Wednesday and several positive LFT tests. His blood sugars are well controlled but he had a hypo on our vid call, he seems ok and just a bit pissed off with it.

I hope he stays well Stoo.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Stooo wrote:The youngest has covid, symptoms since last Wednesday and several positive LFT tests. His blood sugars are well controlled but he had a hypo on our vid call, he seems ok and just a bit pissed off with it.

I hope he stays well Stoo.

Thanks CJ, he just looks knackered right now.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Poor lad. Hope he's better soon.
Raggamuffin

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Poor lad. Hope he's better soon.

Thank you :smilin:
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs