Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Re: Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:43 am

It will depend on how quickly booster shots are but I would expect increased restrictions sometime in late September possibly leading to a lockdown in early December as the bulk of people get to the point where the vaccine is ineffective.
Cactus Jack

Postby ArchieG » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:It will depend on how quickly booster shots are but I would expect increased restrictions sometime in late September possibly leading to a lockdown in early December as the bulk of people get to the point where the vaccine is ineffective.

What makes you think it will be ineffective? It may be less effective, but even if you get covid, it still seems to prevent servere disease quite well so far. At this stage, I feel your doom mongering is out of place and counter productive.
ArchieG

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:24 pm

I was going with the empirical evidence that says it becomes ineffective after five months,

Adding to it the anecdotal evidence that I know two double vaccinated people who had anti-bodies after their vaccination who have tested positive for covid this week.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I was going with the empirical evidence that says it becomes ineffective after five months,

Adding to it the anecdotal evidence that I know two double vaccinated people who had anti-bodies after their vaccination who have tested positive for covid this week.

Where is the evidence that it's ineffective after five months? Antibodies are only part of the story.

Of course someone can test positive for Covid after being vaccinated. A vaccine just means that your adaptive immune system should kick in more quickly, it doesn't mean that the virus won't infect you.
Raggamuffin

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:It will depend on how quickly booster shots are but I would expect increased restrictions sometime in late September possibly leading to a lockdown in early December as the bulk of people get to the point where the vaccine is ineffective.

There's no reason not to start giving boosters now. Especially for those vaccinated over 9 months ago.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:13 pm

Maddog wrote:

There's no reason not to start giving boosters now. Especially for those vaccinated over 9 months ago.

I absolutely agree with you.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Psssst.

I've got a friend who had friends from Mexico come visit, for the sole reason to get both shots.

So if you can't get it there, just fly over here.

Just don't try to smuggle any horse wormer back with you.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Psssst.

I've got a friend who had friends from Mexico come visit, for the sole reason to get both shots.

So if you can't get it there, just fly over here.

Just don't try to smuggle any horse wormer back with you.

Lol,

I follow all the 'twos' were possible - I've had both shots, I self test twice weekly and I maintain a distance of two meters where possible indoors and wear a facemask where it's not possible. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to work from home for two weeks if I test positive, although that hasn't happened yet.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:10 pm

I quite liked this.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:55 pm

The natural immune protection that develops after a SARS-CoV-2 infection offers considerably more of a shield against the Delta variant of the pandemic coronavirus than two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to a large Israeli study that some scientists wish came with a “Don’t try this at home” label. The newly released data show people who once had a SARS-CoV-2 infection were much less likely than never-infected, vaccinated people to get Delta, develop symptoms from it, or become hospitalized with serious COVID-19.

The study demonstrates the power of the human immune system, but infectious disease experts emphasized that this vaccine and others for COVID-19 nonetheless remain highly protective against severe disease and death. And they caution that intentional infection among unvaccinated people would be extremely risky. “What we don’t want people to say is: ‘All right, I should go out and get infected, I should have an infection party,’” says Michel Nussenzweig, an immunologist at Rockefeller University who researches the immune response to SARS-CoV-2 and was not involved in the study. “Because somebody could die.”

The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated. The new work could inform discussion of whether previously infected people need to receive both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or the similar mRNA vaccine from Moderna. Vaccine mandates don’t necessarily exempt those who had a SARS-CoV-2 infection already and the current U.S. recommendation is that they be fully vaccinated, which means two mRNA doses or one of the Johnson & Johnson adenovirus-based vaccine. Yet one mRNA dose might be enough, some scientists argue. And other countries including Germany, France, Italy, and Israel administer just one vaccine dose to previously infected people.

https://www.science.org/content/article ... ldqH7XEfQ&

This is actually pretty good news. Especially for people like me. :smilin:
Maddog

Re: Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:50 pm

.SF. wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:
Guest wrote:SARS is the name given to a virus Art and it's a betacoronavirus as is SARS-CoV 2 and no, the pandemic did not end in May.

:again?: Yes it did end in may! fig 2,

If you're going to carry on with the line that it ended in May you'll have to find something better than a ten year old paper to back up your argument.

So you haven't referenced the america 2017 peer review of the epidemiological clinical assay of the four human coronaviruses HCoV-OC43 (beta coronavirus), etc... then? When did i post the abstract found in the american journal of clinical microbiology?

Either the thread is about a gastrointestinal ribonucleic acid, or it isn't!
art0hur0moh

Postby Snookerballs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:58 pm

MU Mutation of Covid has hit UK , it is thought it could evade current vaccines

Covid is going to be with us for a long time into the future and will be a long time killer .

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/mu-covid-variant/
Snookerballs

Postby drum » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:10 am

Scot Gov having a vote on Vaccine Passports next week.

My friends daughter tested positive yesterday, she's only 19, works in a care home :shake head: she's really ill with it just now. Daughters friend, her partner and their baby all positive too. all just streets away.. :bawlin:
drum

Postby HobbitFeet » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:20 am

Snookerballs wrote:MU Mutation of Covid has hit UK , it is thought it could evade current vaccines

Covid is going to be with us for a long time into the future and will be a long time killer .

However, it is not yet known whether Mu will be able to evade the protection of coronavirus vaccines.

that isn't quite what you said, is it

stop being so sensationalist, we're not an edition of the news of the world
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby .SF. » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:01 am

Snookerballs wrote:MU Mutation of Covid has hit UK , it is thought it could evade current vaccines

You've got scaremongering down to a fine art.
.SF.

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs