Postby Maddog » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Guest wrote:Here is Reason's bias check

Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/reason/

So for what it's worth it has a centre right bias but is highly credible - they spin but they don't lie.

They are very thorough and cite sources.

They get lumped on the right, because that's a common misconception about libertarians in general, especially by those on the left, who often are the people determining these scores. They just know libertarians aren't left, so they incorrectly label them right. The choice isn't really binary.

Ask a conservative and they think we are lefties.
Maddog

Re: Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Postby Maddog » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:55 pm

"Editorially, Reason takes Libertarian positions such as low taxes, free markets, low regulations, and socially liberal positions such as Marijuana legalization and pro-abortion rights. Politically, Reason falls within the Right-Center category based on economic positions (right) and socially liberal positions (Left). These positions often put Reason Magazine at odds with President Trump’s agenda regarding tariffs and free trade."

This actually explains Reason pretty well. So I don't know why it's considered right leaning, when it leans left on social issues. :dunno:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm

Interesting choice from the UK government to give teens a single dose of the pfizer vaccine.

I can't see the logic in that.
Cactus Jack

Postby drum » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:42 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Interesting choice from the UK government to give teens a single dose of the pfizer vaccine.

Neither can many of the medical people posting online about it, they need 2 doses, same as the rest of us.
People now wanting to sue Whitty and the government. Nobody is getting sued :shake head: they have all covered their arses.
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:38 am

drum wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Interesting choice from the UK government to give teens a single dose of the pfizer vaccine.

Neither can many of the medical people posting online about it, they need 2 doses, same as the rest of us.
People now wanting to sue Whitty and the government. Nobody is getting sued :shake head: they have all covered their arses.

What do they want to sue them for? I can't find anything about it.
Last edited by Raggamuffin on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am

Why only one dose?

The recommendation that only one dose be given - which the CMOs said could be looked at again in the spring - is related to the very rare risk of a condition called myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle.

It can cause chest pain and heart palpitations, but cases are usually mild and children recover quickly with standard treatment.

The risk is tiny after one vaccine dose and slightly higher after two, with 12 to 34 cases seen for every one million second doses.

Boys are at higher risk than girls.

And most of the benefits from the vaccine, which reduce the small risk of illness, are gained after one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58547659
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:36 am

Maybe they don’t need the double dose because they have stronger immune systems than the elderly.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 pm

drum wrote:

Quite a lot of the information being published doesn't hold much water - as an example

They're saying that school 'are not drivers of infection rates' however when you read the tables you see that those in households with school age children are 30% more likely to get covid.

I trust even those of you with no maths skills whatsoever can see that is a complete non sequitur.
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
drum wrote:

Quite a lot of the information being published doesn't hold much water - as an example

They're saying that school 'are not drivers of infection rates' however when you read the tables you see that those in households with school age children are 30% more likely to get covid.

I trust even those of you with no maths skills whatsoever can see that is a complete non sequitur.

I guess that's because children (and adults) can still spread it even when vaccinated.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 am

Holly wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
drum wrote:

I guess that's because children (and adults) can still spread it even when vaccinated.

Whilst that's true it doesn't relate to the idea that "school's are not drivers of infection rates". If that were true there would be no difference between households with school age children and those without.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:

Maybe they don’t need the double dose because they have stronger immune systems than the elderly.

It's because there are more instances of serious side effects in kids, especially boys. The likelihood of that problem is much higher after the second shot..
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 am

Studies are showing the vaccines are safe on children as young as five.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:23 am

Has anyone been offered a third jab? Apparently, this is different to the booster programme, and it could be the Pfizer vaccine, even if you had the AstraZeneca one before.
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Has anyone been offered a third jab? Apparently, this is different to the booster programme, and it could be the Pfizer vaccine, even if you had the AstraZeneca one before.

Not yet, only told all over 50s will get the booster.
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am

drum wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Has anyone been offered a third jab? Apparently, this is different to the booster programme, and it could be the Pfizer vaccine, even if you had the AstraZeneca one before.

Not yet, only told all over 50s will get the booster.

Yes. Only certain immunocompromised people are getting a third jab (separate to the booster). I've read conflicting reports about mixing the vaccines though - still looking into that.
Raggamuffin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs