Boris got a deal, but no doubt it will fail in HOC

Re: Boris got a deal, but no doubt it will fail in HOC

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:44 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Orchards in one of Britain’s biggest cider-making regions face being bulldozed because the drinks giant Heineken is pulling the plug on apple-growing contracts.

The Dutch brewer – which has owned Herefordshire-based Bulmers since 2008 – uses around a third of all the cider-apples grown in the UK. About 180 orchard owners, mostly based in Herefordshire, supply the fruit.

Improved productivity, an oversupply of UK-grown apples and a shift among drinkers to sweet fruit ciders has resulted in a glut of the bittersweet apple varieties that make up the backbone of traditional mass-market fare, such as Heineken’s Strongbow.
Orchards face being bulldozed as Heineken ends cider-apple deals
This article is more than 1 year old
Glut of fruit leads to drinks giant not renewing some Herefordshire contracts
Heineken, the biggest cider producer in the world, is negotiating compensation packages to buy some growers out of their long-term contracts, leaving a question mark hanging over the future of their trees.

Grove Farm, at Kimbolton, Herefordshire, has been supplying Bulmers’ cider presses with apples for almost 60 years, recently contributing an annual 50 tonnes.

Tim Bunting, who has managed the farm since 1983, said he is desperately seeking a buyer for this year’s harvest after Heineken cancelled his contract in February. Bunting fears he may have to bulldoze his 70-year-old orchard – home to seven traditional bittersweet apple varieties, such as Brown’s, Vilberie and Dabinett – and turn it into farmland.

He said: “I’m loth to get the bulldozers in but that would be the easiest option. I have to be realistic.”

Bunting explained he had an annually renewed “supply agreement” with Heineken, which does not warrant a compensation buyout.

A neighbouring farmer, Colin Rogers, 71, is in the same predicament after Heineken refused to renew his contract. He said: “We need to find a home for this year’s harvest. A few small-scale cider-makers have shown some interest but they only want a tonne or so at a time.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -contracts

That aside, with no immigrant fruit pickers and everyone here thinking it below them,
Who are these thousands of people and where are they if everyone's working now?

I am seriously thinking you have completely misread or totally misunderstood what I posted, and I say this because your post is just so out of context it might as well be in another language.

Please explain.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:53 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Orchards in one of Britain’s biggest cider-making regions face being bulldozed because the drinks giant Heineken is pulling the plug on apple-growing contracts.

The Dutch brewer – which has owned Herefordshire-based Bulmers since 2008 – uses around a third of all the cider-apples grown in the UK. About 180 orchard owners, mostly based in Herefordshire, supply the fruit.

Improved productivity, an oversupply of UK-grown apples and a shift among drinkers to sweet fruit ciders has resulted in a glut of the bittersweet apple varieties that make up the backbone of traditional mass-market fare, such as Heineken’s Strongbow.
Heineken, the biggest cider producer in the world, is negotiating compensation packages to buy some growers out of their long-term contracts, leaving a question mark hanging over the future of their trees.

Grove Farm, at Kimbolton, Herefordshire, has been supplying Bulmers’ cider presses with apples for almost 60 years, recently contributing an annual 50 tonnes.

Tim Bunting, who has managed the farm since 1983, said he is desperately seeking a buyer for this year’s harvest after Heineken cancelled his contract in February. Bunting fears he may have to bulldoze his 70-year-old orchard – home to seven traditional bittersweet apple varieties, such as Brown’s, Vilberie and Dabinett – and turn it into farmland.

He said: “I’m loth to get the bulldozers in but that would be the easiest option. I have to be realistic.”

Bunting explained he had an annually renewed “supply agreement” with Heineken, which does not warrant a compensation buyout.

A neighbouring farmer, Colin Rogers, 71, is in the same predicament after Heineken refused to renew his contract. He said: “We need to find a home for this year’s harvest. A few small-scale cider-makers have shown some interest but they only want a tonne or so at a time.

I do find the threat to cider production bad, I bunked off schools many a day to pick apples and get paid a pittance just so I could venture into pubs to taste the finished product..

That aside, with no immigrant fruit pickers and everyone here thinking it below them, I do fear for our production of fruit and veg. We cannot feed ourselves anyway, this only serves to make matters worse.

What is the answer? Fruit and Veg Farming to stay out of Prison? Accommodation, food and downtime instead of nick, with pay too --not that much.

BUMPED for Rollup. Here is what I said, hope this helps
LordRaven

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm

LordRaven wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

I do find the threat to cider production bad, I bunked off schools many a day to pick apples and get paid a pittance just so I could venture into pubs to taste the finished product..

That aside, with no immigrant fruit pickers and everyone here thinking it below them, I do fear for our production of fruit and veg. We cannot feed ourselves anyway, this only serves to make matters worse.

What is the answer? Fruit and Veg Farming to stay out of Prison? Accommodation, food and downtime instead of nick, with pay too --not that much.

It must be pretty obvious by now quoting you numerous times that I know what you said .... I highlighted certain things you said and once again I'll ask you to explain ...... You probably won't but I'm used to that.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

It must be pretty obvious by now quoting you numerous times that I know what you said .... I highlighted certain things you said and once again I'll ask you to explain ...... You probably won't but I'm used to that.

I will pop along to some arch-diocese and enlist their help for them to explain to you.
LordRaven

Postby LordRaven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Dear Members, and Guests, do we have anyone willing to and who can explain to Senor Rollup that, should all EU fruit and veg seasonal workers stop coming here to harvest for us, and with all our workers thinking such work is below them, we would be in a spot of bother given we as a Nation are not self sufficient in food production please?
LordRaven

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:11 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

I will pop along to some arch-diocese and enlist their help for them to explain to you.

Why do you always do this/
I simply asked that you explain but nope .... no chance of that as usual.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:12 pm

LordRaven wrote:Dear Members, and Guests, do we have anyone willing to and who can explain to Senor Rollup that, should all EU fruit and veg seasonal workers stop coming here to harvest for us, and with all our workers thinking such work is below them, we would be in a spot of bother given we as a Nation are not self sufficient in food production please?

Fuck me .... I asked you to explain who these thousands of people are who think it beneath them if everyone is working now as we are constantly told.
Don't bother fucking replying I've had enough already.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Dear Members, and Guests, do we have anyone willing to and who can explain to Senor Rollup that, should all EU fruit and veg seasonal workers stop coming here to harvest for us, and with all our workers thinking such work is below them, we would be in a spot of bother given we as a Nation are not self sufficient in food production please?

Fuck me .... I asked you to explain who these thousands of people are who think it beneath them if everyone is working now as we are constantly told.

You are kidding surely? You haven't been hiding in a cave and might well have commented on this well reported issue previously ffs!

Why are so few Brits prepared to pick fruit?
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit-and- ... 52.article
LordRaven

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:30 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

You are kidding surely? You haven't been hiding in a cave and might well have commented on this well reported issue previously ffs!

That wasn't to difficult was it.
There are no shortage of farm workers here.
There are a number of agricultural colleges too teaching machinery handling large plant driving all the tractor skills JCB's and husbandry.
Fruit picking is seasonal and it is always going to be hard to find people who will move miles for twelve weeks work and then be back on the scrap heap where they can end up homeless waiting for unemployment benefits to come through ... called something else now .... the killing you softly benefits or something.
It's the same with any seasonal work ... you have to be pretty desperate to take it.
I would imagine there's no chance you'd do this kind of work.
Here we have a summer season that's twelve weeks long .... who the fuck wants a twelve week job?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

There are a number of agricultural colleges too teaching machinery handling large plant driving all the tractor skills JCB's and husbandry.
Fruit picking is seasonal and it is always going to be hard to find people who will move miles for twelve weeks work and then be back on the scrap heap where they can end up homeless waiting for unemployment benefits to come through ... called something else now .... the killing you softly benefits or something.
It's the same with any seasonal work ... you have to be pretty desperate to take it.
Here we have a summer season that's twelve weeks long .... who the fuck wants a twelve week job?

Lol! That is besides the point and you know it, ever since the industrial revolution people have deserted the fields in favour of city dwelling and that continues to be the case.
LordRaven

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Being a seasonal worker doesn't mean you only work for 12 weeks.

In summer you pick fruit, in autumn you shift to France for the Vendage then come back in time for Christmas work - like harvesting sprouts. Those are illustrative but it is possible to work all year around - the problem is you have to be flexible, you have to be willing to live in pretty ramshackle hut for several months in the year and work fourteen or fifteen hour days in the summer to compensate for the leaner months when there's a lot less happening.

Brexit is going to mean there's going to have to be some serious compulsion to get the British to take those jobs.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cannydc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 pm

There's work to be done for casual farmworkers all year round.

These days there are crops to be picked such as salad leaves from Spring on, they then move on through the soft fruits to apples, squashes etc in the Autumn. Then come the broccoli, cabbages, sprouts and caulies. There's much work apart from that undertaken in fields - veg processing and packing employs many immigrant workers too.

Fact is, when you are a man down for every 5 you normally employ, it gets very hard to get things done.
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm

There's farm work all year round all over the place but if it's anywhere like here the locals get the work and especially those who went to agricultural college.
There are lots of Brits amongst the casual working traipsing all over the place lot and more and more of them are living in vans ... singles young couples even a few with kids .... check out vanlife on FB youtube etc but would any of you lot want the nomadic lifestyle?
I very much doubt it.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:44 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:There's farm work all year round all over the place but if it's anywhere like here the locals get the work and especially those who went to agricultural college.
There are lots of Brits amongst the casual working traipsing all over the place lot and more and more of them are living in vans ... singles young couples even a few with kids .... check out vanlife on FB youtube etc but would any of you lot want the nomadic lifestyle?
I very much doubt it.

Who mentioned 'wanting' it - the facts are these
As a country we produce between 40% and 60% of our calorific needs
Brexit, before it has even happened, has resulted in a 20% drop in the agricultural labour force

Boorish's plan is to cut the tariffs on all foods to 0% and let chlorinated chicken flood the UK while the USA imposes a 25% tariff on all British cheese.

The above is just one example of a pattern where imports we have already said won't be subject to tariffs to deal with the massive hole left by trade with Europe will further undercut UK producers and reduce wages in the agriculture sector even more - of course that will mean we have to scrap the minimum wage.

Of course even foreign producers aren't going to be willing to keep supplying Britain with food for nothing in return so we'll have to deregulate our financial sector a bit for them, making it much more attractive for hedge fund managers with dubious morals and even more dubious business practices.

In the meantime to revive our own agriculture sector and produce enough food to eat we'll need to boost the agricultural workforce for - in the short term - no money.

Changing the law so prisoners can be made to work on farms is one measure - it won't do much and there will be escapes of dangerous prisoners but at least they will be BRITISH murderers and rapists roaming the countryside.

Then we can introduce a workfare scheme shipping the urban unemployed out into the country for 12 weeks of intensive 'work experience' picking crops for fourteen hours a day.

Do you think the Conservatives above contemplating any of the above measures?
Cactus Jack

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:There's farm work all year round all over the place but if it's anywhere like here the locals get the work and especially those who went to agricultural college.
I very much doubt it.

Who mentioned 'wanting' it - the facts are these
As a country we produce between 40% and 60% of our calorific needs
Brexit, before it has even happened, has resulted in a 20% drop in the agricultural labour force

Boorish's plan is to cut the tariffs on all foods to 0% and let chlorinated chicken flood the UK while the USA imposes a 25% tariff on all British cheese.

The above is just one example of a pattern where imports we have already said won't be subject to tariffs to deal with the massive hole left by trade with Europe will further undercut UK producers and reduce wages in the agriculture sector even more - of course that will mean we have to scrap the minimum wage.

Of course even foreign producers aren't going to be willing to keep supplying Britain with food for nothing in return so we'll have to deregulate our financial sector a bit for them, making it much more attractive for hedge fund managers with dubious morals and even more dubious business practices.

In the meantime to revive our own agriculture sector and produce enough food to eat we'll need to boost the agricultural workforce for - in the short term - no money.

Changing the law so prisoners can be made to work on farms is one measure - it won't do much and there will be escapes of dangerous prisoners but at least they will be BRITISH murderers and rapists roaming the countryside.

Then we can introduce a workfare scheme shipping the urban unemployed out into the country for 12 weeks of intensive 'work experience' picking crops for fourteen hours a day.

Do you think the Conservatives above contemplating any of the above measures?

I think everyone knows the details you mention but obviously everyone doesn't know the prisoner situation.
Prisoners already work for private companies and have done for a generation and more.
Dangerous prisoners will not be allowed to work outside.
I look forward to lots of posters from on here being the first in the fields.
Even pensioners are being threatened with it!
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs